Friday, March 30, 2018

Week 12 Prompt: RA Matrix for The Glass Castle


Where is the book on the narrative continuum?
Highly Narrative (reads like fiction)


What is the subject of the book?
A teen girl and her 3 siblings live in poverty with brilliant but irresponsible parents who believe that inventions, art, and alcohol are more important than food, electricity and running water.


What type of book is it?
Autobiography/Memoir


ARTICULATE APPEAL
What is the pacing of the book?
Quick-paced.  Short segments keep the book moving almost as much as the family physically moves from one location to the next.


Describe the characters of the book
The main character (author), Jeannette, is believable, introspective and witty. Her three siblings, Lori, Brian and Maureen, could be described similarly. They are much more responsible than their parents, Rex (an inventor) and Rose Mary (an artist), who are flawed, unreliable and quirky.

How does the story feel?
Darkly humorous, reflective, thought-provoking, hopeful.

What is the intent of the author?
To share the experience of her most unusual childhood.

What is the focus of the story?
How the author and her siblings survive a nomadic, (unnecessarily) poverty-stricken lifestyle with dysfunctional parents.

Does the language matter?
The story does not rely too much on the language. The language is not lyrical, but straightforward, matter-of-fact, and easily understood.


Is the setting important and well described?
Yes.


Are there details, and if so, what?
The story is full of details of the poverty-like conditions, such as caved in roofs, moldy walls, sleeping in beds made from cardboard, porches so rotted out that the family had to climb through the window to enter the house.

Are there sufficient charts and other graphic materials? Are they useful?
There are no charts or graphic materials included (at least not in the eBook version); however, if the author had a sketch of her father’s proposed “Glass Castle,” it would make a nice addition to the book.


Does the book stress moments of learning, understanding, or experience?
Learning from the father who was somewhat of a genius, understanding how to survive and rise above poverty, experiencing what it is like to be a child living in poverty.

Why would a reader enjoy this book (rank appeal)?
Narrative Content, Characterization, Learning/Experiencing


7 comments:

  1. I found the matrix to be an interesting thought experiment. Most of the questions seem geared to a specific part of the continuum though. I liked how you handled that challenge, like when asked about the charts, you replied how a diagram of a story element may enhance the work. I'm thinking the matrix could be reworked into a decision tree style chart based on the answer to the continuum question to be even more effective. Did you feel challenged to squeeze some answers into questions when considering your book like I did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dustin,
      Yes, I did feel like I was forcing some answers. I think that if I choose to use this type of matrix going forward, I would only address the questions that applied.

      Delete
  2. Dear Shawn,
    You need to explain your rank appeal in greater detail. You identified the elements of rank appeal, but you did not explain why you utilized the elements of the rank appeal. Also, I think that you should edit your content to a greater degree; the sentences exhibit some mistakes. I believe that you could write more sentences, instead of short segments in order to more clearly explain your points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for your feedback. I didn't feel that I needed to explain why I chose the rankings considering the example did not do that. As far as editing the content, I looked through it and quite frankly, I do not feel that editing is necessary. I actually provided a great deal more detail than the example. There are some incomplete sentences, yes, but this is a matrix, not a full-on annotation. Did you look at the example of the matrix that I used? There were apparently a few different versions.

      Delete
  3. Excellent job utilizing this matrix. Full points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting, Shawn! You also wrote your nonfiction matrix assignment about The Glass Castle! I loved the book, actually, even though I was literally shaking my head or cussing at the parents on nearly every page. I liked the bit where you wrote that Jeannette's parents thought "inventions, art, and alcohol are more important than food, electricity and running water". They were a trip, weren't they? Heaven knows my parents weren't perfect, but God love them, on their worst day they were infinitely better than these 2 on their best.

    By the way, I understand exactly why you wrote your answers the way you did. This matrix didn't call for any particular support detail in the ranking. Actually as a reader looking for RA, I don't know that much of this would help me decide whether or not to choose a particular book!

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The parents drove me crazy! Things like the kids finding the diamond ring that could have paid bills and bought food, but mom wanted to keep it - and the mom having all that property probably worth millions, but the kids were sleeping in cardboard boxes under a raft! And don't get me started on the dad sending Jeannette upstairs with a stranger. What the WHAT?!
      What amazes me is that most of the kids turned more than okay. I'm really glad she wrote this book.

      Delete