Saturday, February 24, 2018

Week 7 Prompt: A Few Little Thoughts on "A Million Little Pieces"


[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/jamesfreyowesmemoney/FreyLicense2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Toenails. Honestly, that is what I remember the most about James Frey’s book, “A Million Little Pieces.” At one point while he’s in rehab, he


Pulls. 
His. Own. Toenail. Out.

On purpose.

<cringe>I couldn’t really tell you anything else specifically that happened in the book. I know there were drugs and police and blood and vomit. I do remember thinking, “This guy is a badass. He’s survived so much.” And why would I doubt anything he wrote or said since Queen Oprah, ruler of Truth and Enlightenment, forced this book on us like a Girl Scout pushing cookies in front of the grocery store?


Back in 2003 when the book came out, I was on a reading hiatus, but I actually BOUGHT this book and read it. I read it with the same zeal and zest that I felt when I watched “Spinal Tap” for the first time. Keep in mind that the first time I watched “Spinal Tap,” I was 13 years old and didn’t know what a “mockumentary” was; I was heartbroken when I learned that the whole movie was a joke (although, later, when I GOT it, I thought it was hilarious.) When I learned James Frey had fabricated the biggest, best portions of his book, it was that initial “Spinal Tap” reaction for me all over again. You know: ”Awwww….MAN!” I didn’t pick up another book for a loooong time.


The Smoking Gun article, “A Million Little Lies,” breaks down the untruths in Frey’s book in such detail that it’s obvious the book is semi-autobiographical at best. Frey deflects the accusations and the facts by putting his own spin on things or saying that he had records expunged, and finally admits that he had “..embellished central details of his criminal career for ‘obvious dramatic reasons.’”

But…WHY?


The obvious answer is to sell books. I don’t think he thought it would ever reach the magnitude that it did. He never expected Queen Oprah to peddle the book on her show. By the time it started rolling, it was too late to backpedal. I think HE even started to believe his lies. He should have taken a page from Tim O’Brien’s book, “The Things They Carried,” a collection of short, often gut-wrenching stories about a soldier’s experiences in Vietnam. O’Brien admits that the stories are semi-autobiographical. It’s up to the reader to discern what is true and what isn’t – or rather, what they WANT to believe is true and what isn’t. Wouldn’t the same have worked for Frey’s story? Do I really have to believe that he pulled off his own toenail? <dry heave> (FYI, don’t Google, “James Frey, toenail images.” DO…..NOT….you’re going to, aren’t you?)


So here we are, 15 years later, and rather than this little book going away, it appears the movie version of “A Million Little Pieces” is in production. 
Again I ask…WHY? The answer is one that I reluctantly have to admit is true…

Regardless of its fallacies…it’s still a compelling story.


Dammit.


So as a librarian, what do I do when this movie comes out and someone approaches the adult reference desk and asks me for the book because they want to read it first? I get it for them. You know…intellectual freedom, Code of Ethics, all that Librarian 101 stuff. I hand it to them, smile, and give a million little thanks that 15 years ago, I never got Frey’s battle cry, “Hold On” tattooed on my person.


7 comments:

  1. It kills me that this book hasn't been reclassified in my library as nonfiction. KILLS ME. I'm not okay with this book and the million little lies "just to sell books" because that was so damn dirty of him. Most of the time I can pardon a book because, hey, at least people are reading...but this just smeared itself all over nonfiction writing, and I can't defend Frey at all for that. People were reading, sure, but they weren't reading truth when that is what they were promised. Being an unreliable narrator is one thing, as with Tim O'Brien, but you have to own that in nonfiction! You have to, because even that little admission will lend you credibility. To pass all his bullshit off like he did? I have some choice words for James Frey, and they are not nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point, Catherine! Our library only owns the Book CD version, but it's classified as non-fiction. I'm going to ask our cataloguers about this tomorrow. It will be interested in hearing what they have to say.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm really surprised this book is being made into a movie. I figured after the whole mess, the book would disappear into oblivion. I'm also surprised that it hasn't been changed to fiction at all libraries. We don't even have a copy of it. If we did, I assume it would be in fiction! It really is too bad that the book wasn't released as semi-autobiographical. It was such a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what drives me crazy about the whole thing! That the book is actually good! If he had just released it as semi-autobiographical, maybe Oprah wouldn't have picked it up, but I still think he would have had a best seller, and more importantly, he'd still have his dignity.

      Delete
  3. Your writing style is AMAZING - I love this essay so much. I wrote about Frey in my response for this week, and I mentioned a friend with addiction problems who loved Frey's book, and didn't seem bothered at all when it turned out to be fiction. I should probably refrain from being overly opinionated about the subject since I haven't read A Million Little Pieces yet myself, but I just ... don't get it. I would have been so mad. When the movie trailers start coming out, if they start with "Based on a true story..." I don't know if I can stop myself from shouting "LIES!" in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna!

      I can't imagine that they would even TRY to use the "based on a true story" bit - but if they do, I'll be right there beside you yelling "LIES!" And then I'll leave before the toenail part....

      Delete
  4. I LOL'd at your response several times, great job (I VIVIDLY remember the toenail scene, ugh!) and I love that you likened it to finding out the truth about This is Spinal Tap! At our branch it is STILL cataloged in the 921 which peeves me to no end, but I know quite a few library systems have kept it in nonfiction but moved it to the drug and addiction section rather than the memoir which I think can be a happy medium. Full points!

    ReplyDelete