Sunday, April 8, 2018

But...That's the Kids' Section (Introducing Adults to YA and Graphic Novels)


I have a confession – I’m three years into the MLS program and have one year of adult reference work under my belt – and I do NOT know everything about every section in my library. I don’t even pretend to know. I so rarely visit the Westerns section that it’s easy for me to believe that tumbleweed actually rolls down those aisles.  I will visit the Mystery section for entertainment purposes only – because I like the pun-ny titles (“Lord of the Wings”, “Caught Read-Handed,” “Curiosity Thrilled the Cat” to name a few.) Until recently, I tended to avoid the Graphic Novel/Manga section in the YA section. But one day I was pulling a Manga hold for a patron and I just happened to look through it while walking back to my desk, and the next thing I knew….I was putting MYSELF on hold for the book.  Two weeks later I was reading the Manga version of “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up.” You really should see my sock drawer now. I want to have a party just to show it off.

The question for this week is: How can we as librarians, work to ensure that we are able to serve adults who enjoy YA literature or graphic novels?

The answer to me is as obvious as finding Waldo in a nudist camp.

WE HAVE TO READ IT!!

Even if we don’t want to. Even if we don’t think we’ll like it. Even if that person that you can’t stand reads it and you don’t want to be like THAT person. Even if it’s just a book from that genre here and there. You don’t have to fully commit to knowing the whole collection; you just need to be familiar with it.

What about those adult readers who don’t already read YA and Graphic Novels? There are a lot of ways to introduce adults to these genres. One way is by suggesting a YA book similar to an adult book they have read/are reading. If a patron indicates that he/she really liked “Me Before You,” I might suggest “The Fault in Our Stars.” Both books are character-driven and issue-oriented with moving tones and an element of romance. And you don't even really need to tell them that it's a YA novel - it's just a novel. I understand the need to classify everything - but really - why can't we all just get along?


The same is true for Graphic Novels. I might suggest to someone toting around “Jane Eyre” that they check out the Graphic Novel version. I doubt many adult novel readers know that Graphic Novels exist for many of the classics. And even if they want to read the original, they could pick up the Graphic Novel as a companion read. What’s the worst that could happen? They might hate it. OR – a potential whole new genre love affair could blossom like Jane’s love for Mr. Rochester. A display of side-by-side classics with their Manga versions would be a GREAT way to intermingle these two genres.

Writing this, I realize that I have homework to do. I really do need to read more Graphic Novels – and I guess I’m going to have to saddle up and head on over to the Westerns section. If I’m going to serve ALL patrons, I need to be familiar with ALL genres. Like it or not, partner – it’s our job as librarians to know the collections to ensure that each patron leaves the library on a happy trail.

Photo Credit: http://www.bang2write.com/2012/05/quick-question-graphic-novels-contracts.html

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I liked your entry this week! Very interesting. You know, you don't really HAVE to read Westerns and graphic novels, you can just read ABOUT them. That's my motto. There are plenty of sources to keep up on the genres that you don't particularly want to read. Speaking of graphic novels, I did NOT know that the Kondo book is also a graphic novel! That's pretty cool! I don't generally read graphic novels, but I really appreciate the juxtaposition of art and story telling. Some of the graphic novels out are so amazingly artistic that I really wish I could get into the things. Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannine! You are so right about reading about novels instead of actually reading them - but I like to TRY to get into the mindset of the reader. It won't kill me to read a western. It'll be a short one. : )

      Delete
  2. I agree with introducing the graphic novel version to be read as a companion to the traditional novel. I have done this many times myself, and I notice so much about the story by comparing the two versions. It is always fun to see the graphics, to see if they match what you were picturing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be interesting to see a graphic novel's depiction of certain characters. I know we have the Wuthering Heights GN. I'm going to look tomorrow to see if Heathcliff looks like what I thought he did!! It drives me crazy when characters portrayed in movies don't look like they are described in books. I would hope that graphic novels would be more true to them.

      Delete
  3. You have such a witty writing style, I LOL'ed a few times. Also, I couldn't agree more with you! You definitely have the right mindset for librarianship. Great post, full points!

    ReplyDelete