Monday, April 23, 2018

Memories on a Shelf (Week 16 Prompt)


My reading swing, moved to my current home from
my parents home in Spencer, IN.
My early youth was spent in the barn with Wilbur and Charlotte, on the prairie with Ma, Pa, Mary and Carrie, and in a boxcar with a family of mystery-solving orphans.  My teen years found me commiserating with Margaret, and hanging out in a MicMac Indian burial ground that had been transformed into a Pet Sematary. The pages of the few books I owned became tattered and their covers fell off.  I spent a lot of time at the local library, and the best time of year for me was when the Scholastic Books fair came to school. I read for the fun of it and the love of it, and I couldn’t read enough.

I haven’t really thought much about how reading and books have changed for me, but reflecting back on my favorites as a child and some of my current favorites, I realize that my reading preferences haven’t changed much, they’ve just matured a little. I still adore books about children and animals, I love historical fiction (of any age level), and I still like books that are a little “out there,” but more along the lines of Kurt Vonnegut rather than Stephen King. I still read for fun. I still can’t get enough. 

Sadly, I rarely repeatedly read books that I currently own – but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's because there are so many good books out there to read, in so many formats, and life is short!! I am not picky about how I read books. Give it to me as an eBook, an audiobook, in print, even a pdf. In my youth, my reading was limited to what I owned, and what the school and local public libraries held in their collections. Now, with a vast number of books available to me, and numerable ways to get them, I take advantage of it all. 

If someone were to write a book on the future of books, it would fall under the “mystery” genre. No one knows! It's fair to say that digital media is changing the reading game and the future of books. When I was a child/teen, the Internet was just being conceived and reading a book on a phone wasn’t anything I could have fathomed. The closest thing I had to “digital media” was when I used my index finger to dial a number on our rotary phone to listen to the local library’s recorded story time. The audio books in my day were read-along Disney books that came with a 45RPM vinyl record. It sounds crazy to say but, somewhere in the future, whether it’s 20 or 50 years, I believe that eBooks will out-publish and outsell hard copies. I know that as a librarian, this borders on blasphemy, but at one point, someone thought that songs in mp3 form would never outsell CDs. My library discontinued CDs several years ago.

So, is digital media the only way of the future? I can't completely accept this theory. Why? Because I believe that we overestimate the longevity of digital media. We seem to fail to understand (or ignore the fact) that even digital media is not guaranteed to last forever. Computers crash. Hackers steal and scramble data. Backups are accidentally destroyed. Flash drives are damaged. Zombies may take over the world. For these reasons (okay, maybe not the Zombies), I don’t believe that books in print will ever completely go away. We NEED them. They are real, tangible. They keep our history whether in fact or in subject matter. And besides, we still like to line our walls with them. We still like to fall asleep with a book our chest. We like to read them, and pass them on to our friends and family. We hand down books as heirlooms, missing covers and all. We still love the feel, smell and look of a book. Books aren't just stories; they are memories on the shelf - of when you read it (it was a humid day, your boyfriend had just broken up with you, and you could barely see the pages for the tears), who you read it with (you and your BFF shrieked together when that evil cat came back to life), why you read it (because your English teacher made you and now you love her for it.) 

You always hear about people hugging books to their chests. No one ever hugs a Kindle. 

The last paragraph of Ursula K. Le Guin’s article “Staying Awake: Notes on the alleged decline of reading” really spoke to my heart. She says,

The book itself is a curious artifact, not showy in its technology but complex and extremely efficient: a really neat little device, compact, often very pleasant to look at and handle, that can last decades, even centuries. It doesn’t have to be plugged in, activated, or performed by a machine; all it needs is light, a human eye, and a human mind.

My reading swing - Spencer, IN
circa 1980.
While I am a fan of eBooks and moving forward with the times, Le Guin's words made me want to advocate strongly for books in print to carry forward well into the future and beyond. I want to know that 20 or more years from now, maybe another eight year-old girl will be sitting in the shade on the swing that her dad made for her in the walnut tree out back, lost in a tattered, well-loved copy of “Charlotte’s Web.” That's my memory on a shelf. I'd like to keep it there for the next person. 


My original copy given to me by my parents for Christmas in 1979.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Shawn,
    The layout of your post is so attractive...thank you for the vivid descriptions and visuals...it made reading your post exciting. I love that you rarely re-read a book that you own. Me too! I have a hard time buying books [unless they are reference books or children books] because I know I won't re-read it. I'm so glad to know I have company!

    I always question technology [I still send letters in the mail!]. I just don't trust it. How can the systems that support ebooks, etc. today endure 50 years from now? Certainly advancements will be made...but, then will all the digital books need to be uploaded to a new format, etc? I just don't trust it. It's the same with storing my family photos. Although they are all on my computer, I also have hard copies. Six generations from now, will my relatives have access to the digital images? I'm not sure, but, I'm fairly certain they can still sift through boxes of photos, like finding treasures.
    I agree with you...it's a mystery and only time will tell. For now, we can enjoy our wide variety of formats, knowing that the options we have are well-suited to meet the needs of diverse readers.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      I'm with you on not trusting technology. Even if we have the ability to backup the backups, it still takes human intervention to do it - and humans aren't perfect, either. We forget things.
      I still have a floppy disk from my college years with my personal journal on it - do I have anything that takes a floppy disk? No. And I think the last time I DID have something that took a floppy disk, I got the old "formatting error." So all those memories - lost. Technology. We love it and hate it.

      Delete
  2. I like how you talk about what you read as a child and how it stay the same but just mature as you got older. I agree that I don't feel that print books are going to go away altogether. I do like how you talked about how digital books can have something happen to them and as long as we have print book we still have a copy of that book. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I hope print books are around for a long time to come!

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    Great post! I really like that you included the pictures. While I think that the points you make it your post are great, the pictures really added to it. Your comment about how your reading as a child to now is similar and matured as you got older really got me thinking about my reading habits. One of my favorite series as a kid was Little House on the Prairie and now I still love to read books that cover the western historical genre, usually they're romances now. I also agree with you that while print books will probably always be around in one way or another, I do think that ebooks and audiobooks will continue to grow in popularity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Holly! I loved - and still love - the Little House series. That is one set of books that I WILL read over and over. Reading those books is like a warm, fuzzy blanket fresh out of the dryer on a snowy day - they just make you feel good when things aren't going the best.

      I think the thing that makes me the most sad about ebooks eventually taking over is that some books will ONLY be created digitally and the perfect reader for that book may never know about it because there will be no ebookstore to wander around in on a lazy Sunday and stumble across it. Internet searches/shopping will never be able to duplicate the look and feel of an actual bookstore.

      Delete
  4. What a heartfelt post! I love that you included pictures. You have so many solid conclusions. Full points!

    ReplyDelete